Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Dream ( True Grace )

Lately, i was enjoying a novel ''Out of the Depths'' by John Newton. This version which i am reading right now it's a little different whereby people had helped to change it a little to better grammar and vocabulary suiting nowadays youngteens. :) 


I just wanted to share a little favourite part of it for me. At least it really inspire me a lots.
Hope all the readers find it interesting to you as well :)



His Dream of the Ring 


In my dream the scene was the harbor of Venice, where i had lately been. I though it was night, and I was standing my watch upon the dock.  As I was walking back and forth by myself, someone brought me a ring. I was explicitly charge to keep it carefully and assured that while I preserved that ring I would be happy and successful. If i lost or parted with it, I must expect nothing but trouble and misery.I accepted the present and the terms willingly, not doubting in the least that i would carefully preserve it. I was highly satisfied to have my happiness in my own keeping. 


         Then a second person came to me. Observing the ring on my finger, he began to ask question concerning it. I readily told him about its virtues. He expressed surprise at my weakness in expecting such effects from a ring. He reasoned with me for some time, and at last urged me to throw the ring away.


         At first I was shocked at the proposal, but his persuasions prevailed. I began to think and then doubt. At last I plucked it off my finger and dropped it over the ship's side into the water. At the same instant, a terrible fire burst out from a range of the mountain, a part of the Alps, which appeared at some distance behind the city of Venice. I saw the hills as distinctly as if awake, and they were all in flames.
     
        I perceived, too late, my foolishness. My tempter, with an air of insult, informed me that all the mercy of God in reserve for me was containing in that ring, which i willfully thrown away. I understood that i must now go with him to be burning mountains, and that all the flames I saw were kindled on my account. I trembled, and was in a great agony, but my dream continued. As i stood self condemned, without plea or hope, suddenly a third person, or the same who brought me the ring at first ( I am not certain which) , came to me and asked for the cause of my grief.

        I told him plainly, confessing that i had ruined myself willfully and deserved no pity. He blamed my  foolhardiness and asked if i would be wiser if I had my ring again. I could hardly answer for i thought it was gone beyond recovery. Indeed, I had no time to answer before i saw this unexpected friend go down under the water, just at the spot where i had dropped the ring. He soon returned, bringing it with him.
 

        The moment he came on board, the flames in the mountains were extinguished and mu seducer left me. Then was ''the prey taken from the hand of the mighty, and the lawful captive delivered'' ( Isaiah 49:24 ). My fear ended, and with joy and gratitude I approached my kind deliverer to receive my ring again. But he refused to return it and said to me, '' If you are to be entrusted with this ring again, you would very soon bring yourself into he same distress. You are not able to keep it, but I will preserve it for you. Whenever it is needful, I will produce it in your behalf.''


I awoke in a state of mind that is difficult to describe.


This story it reveals to our life as well. The original peace which sinful us had lost it with our God will be found again. And it is only through Jesus Christ's death for us. That why True Christian love our God and truly appreciate what Jesus Christ had done for us. And it did not end until we die, just like the third person who appeared in his dream, Jesus Christ preserve our life for us. Or else, we lose it to our own sin and persuade of demons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment